Takeaways from Strategy class (SU 09)


I tried to go back in time and reflect at why I was so excited about the strategy class. I guess it was the excitement to finally put the pieces of the puzzle together, combining the skill sets and tool kits that I had gathered from all the core classes. Now, the class has officially ended after the final exam paper was submitted. As I reflect back, there are several crucial things that I have picked up from the class, which I think are very useful in my interaction with others in my professional and personal life.

First, I learn to ask questions, a lot of questions, a lot of good questions. In my profession as a project manager, a lot of unexpected issues may come up unexpectedly. I used to get frustrated about it but slowly, I realized it is very common to face unexpected issues. The problem is that we need to find solutions. Where do we start? We can start by asking questions to the issue discoverer and then ask more questions to diagnose the issue further. Thus, issues are clear and solutions can be suggested. I used to think that asking questions can back fire at me. For instance, I’m facing the risk of being ridicule, if I asked stupid questions. But, Prof Dial helped me realized that life is too short to worry about what people think of me so slowly but surely I’m adjusting to my new belief about asking questions. I have started to ask many questions now. Some are good questions and some are not so good questions. Nevertheless, I’m confident that by experience, I will gain the maturity and competence to ask many good questions.

Second, I learn to tell good stories. As I reflected about by grandfather, who had passed away in 1998, I realized that I’m learning about life and being inspired by him through the stories of my aunts, uncles and grandmother. My grandfather may not have the opportunity to teach me about life but he had definitely taught his children well and enabled them to pass the legacy along through stories. I have always love stories but I have never realized that stories are that powerful. The strategy class has led me to grasp the effectiveness of good stories to inspire and motivate others. The basic requirement to develop a good business plan is the ability to tell a good story about the business. So, again slowly but surely, I need to touch up on my story telling skill.

Third, I learn to be inquisitive. It is not enough to ask questions. In fact, in order to ask good questions, it should start from inquisitiveness about the issue at hand. Otherwise, the questions asked will be mundane and fairly standard. Being inquisitive is in other word being interested in the issue at hand and passionate about the solution discovery process.

Fourth, I learn to be brave in taking risk and facing failures. The fear of failing most of the time paralyzes us to aspire for something great. Face it, we learn the most when we fail and not when everything is plateau or good. We don’t wake up each morning and dream of being the biggest loser. We want to win or at least being a mediocre but not to fail. I remembered feeling chill through my spine when Prof Dial picked on me to answer some of his diagnostic questions. At that moment, I felt liberated. I have no where to go but to attempt on providing the answer. I felt helpless but empowered. It was a weird feeling. I knew my answers were not succinct enough for the class. I felt dissatisfied and at the same time motivated to improve for the next case discussion. I couldn’t forget how I felt on that day. Not just the failure but the feeling of being liberated, empowered, and motivated.

I believe there are still much to learn and I’m convinced that I can truly make an impact to the society with the talent and knowledge I have. At the very least, I learn to be confident and comfortable to form my opinions for the world ahead of me.

0 comments

 
|  Messy World. Blogger Template By Lawnydesignz Powered by Blogger